Find a solicitor

These organisations will help individuals with legal advice and representation.

Below we list different way to get advice including solicitor firms, charities and other organisations offering advice.

There are also different ways to fund legal advice.  People on means-tested benefits or low income may get free legal advice through legal aid. Some solicitors will offer to take cases on “no win no fee” basis, Legal advice may be included in your insurance policies.  See CAB’s website for more information on different ways to fund legal advice.

Legal help: where to go and how to pay

A House of Commons Library briefing paper provides information about where to seek legal help and advice.

The briefing paper provides information about sources of legal help and advice, and how to pay for it, including:

  • Finding legal help;
  • Self-representation;
  • Legal aid;
  • Pro bono legal help;
  • Other ways of finding legal advice, including organisations which provide help and advice in connection with specific legal issues.

Legal help or advice should be given by a suitably qualified person with professional liability insurance.

More information is available at:

Solicitors’ firms

You can use the Law Society’s website to find a solicitor near you.  Make sure you look for a solicitor specialising in the issue you need advice for

The Civil Legal Advice line can help you find a solicitor if you qualify for legal aid:


Phone number:  0345 345 4 345

You can book an appointment with a BSL interpreter through the website.

London solicitors

This is a list of solicitor firms providing legal advice and representation on Community Care, Public Law, Education, Disability Discrimination (please note this is not a definitive or comprehensive list and inclusion does not imply personal recommendation on the part of Inclusion London)

Bindmans LLP

Specialise in public law, human rights and discrimination cases.

Tel: +44 (0)20 7833 4433   Email:

Deighton Pierce Glynn

Specialise in human rights, discrimination and public law.  They also offer advice on housing, community care and disability discrimination when accessing goods and services.

Tel: 020 7407 007    Email:

Duncan Lewis Solicitors

Offer advice on community care, debt, mental capacity and mental health

Tel: 033 3772 0409

Edwards Duthie

Offer legal advice on a wide range of issues, including community care and mental capacity.

Tel: 020 8514 9000

Fry Law

Specialists in Disability discrimination cases related to access to goods and services and education.  Fry law do some cases on “no win no fee” basis.

Tel: 0114 361 0000

Hopkin Murray Beskin

Advise on housing, community care human rights and discrimination cases.

Tel: 020 7272 1234

Irwin Mitchell (Public Law Dept)

Specialises in a wide range of issues, including public law, human rights, community care, mental capacity and education.

Tel: 0370 1500 100

John Ford Solicitors

Specialise in education, community care, mental capacity, public law and discrimination cases.

Tel: 020  8800 64 64     Email:  

Leigh Day & Co

Specialise in human rights, public law, social care, healthcare, court of protection etc.

Tel: 020 7650 1200

Mackintosh Law

Specialise in community care and mental capacity cases

Tel: 020 7357 6464

Scott- Moncrieff & Associates (Public Law Unit)

Specialise in community care, discrimination, human rights cases.

Tel: 020 7485 5588

Simpson Millar

Offer advice on education and social care cases.

Tel: 01524 596 080

TV Edwards

Offer advice on community care, mental capacity and mental health and housing.

Tel: 020 3440 8000

Other places to find help

Local Law Centre

Law centres usually offer advice on a range of problems, including welfare benefits, community care, housing, discrimination.  You can find your nearest law centre using Law Centre Network’s website

Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB)

The website of the national advice agency, including search for your nearest CAB.

Law Works

The Law Works website has a list of organisations offering free legal advice from legal clinics legal clinics to national organisations offering advice on a range of issues

back to top

Free legal advice and representation services

Disability Law Service

Who are they?

A national charity run by disabled people, which specialises in free legal advice and information for disabled people, their families and carers.

What do they do?

They provide free legal advice and representation (e.g. in complaints, using the Ombudsman, tribunals and courts), in the areas of community care and employment.

They run a free legal advice line on community care and employment.

They also have factsheets available to download on key areas of the law, such as community care; employment; goods and services; human rights and welfare benefits. The factsheets are available for download in different formats – regular, large print, text only and audio file.

How do you access the service?

back to top

Equality Advisory and Support Service

Who are they?

The EASS is funded by the Government Equality Office. It was set up to advise and assist individuals who think they may have experienced discrimination.

What do they do?

They provide information to help individuals understand how the equality act works, and how it may be relevant to individual situations. They also provide a number of resources including template letters on discrimination at work. They do not provide legal advice but support people to resolve their issue using alternative informal dispute resolution, as opposed to issuing a claim in the county court or the employment tribunal.

How do you access the service?

back to top

Bar Pro Bono Unit

Who are they?

A charity that helps to find pro bono legal assistance from volunteer barristers for individuals and organisations who cannot afford to pay and who cannot obtain public funding (legal aid).

What do they do?

The Unit matches barristers prepared to undertake pro bono work with those who need their help. The office itself does not give advice.

The volunteer barristers can provide advice, representation and help at mediation; representation in any court/tribunal; give legal advice on any subject; and draft documents such as skeleton arguments.

How do you access the service?

back to top

Free Representation Unit (FRU)

Who are they?

A charity that provides free legal representation for the public 
and advocacy experience for junior lawyers.

What do they do?

Provide legal advice, case preparation and advocacy in employment tribunals (and appeals from decisions of the employment tribunals); social security appeals in the first-tier tribunal (and appeals from such decisions); and criminal injury compensation cases.

How do you access the service?

back to top